Monday, May 19, 2008

Chrysanthemum Chrysanthemum Chrysanthemum


Kevin Henkes has always been, and always will be, one of my absolutely favorite author/illustrators.  The magic he brings to every story, and the vibrant life he gives to every line, is remarkable.  Even more remarkable is his uncanny ability to profoundly recall childhood memories--memories which many of us mere mortals often seem to sort of gently misplace...like our glasses, or keys.  

Kevin is among the great ones--the truly magnificent authors and illustrators--who seem, somehow, to still see and feel childhood with a clarity and precision that is simply uncanny.  And even more astonishing, he's just about the nicest guy you'll ever meet.  {Well, once you read "Chrysanthemum," that won't seem astonishing at all.}

You'll have to take my word on this one....or the words of Mrs. Delphinium Twinkle:

"Yes," said Mrs. Twinkle, "I'm named after a flower, too!"  
"You are?" said Victoria.  
"Yes," said Mrs. Twinkle.  
"My name is Delphinium.  Delphinium Twinkle.  
And if my baby is a girl, I'm considering Chrysanthemum as a name.  
I think it's absolutely perfect."
 
I, too, think Chrysanthemum is an absolutely perfect name.  

Here's to the Chrysanthemums of the world, 
with good cheer and all best wishes...  
from a Victoria.